2018 Municipal Election
The Clerk is appointed the Municipal Returning Officer under the Municipal Elections Act and is responsible for the administration and management of the Municipal Elections every four (4) years.
Accordingly, the Clerk's Office is involved in accepting nominations of candidates running for office, preparing voters' lists, preparing ballots, selecting staff and certification and distribution of Election results.
The current term of office is December 1, 2014 to November 30, 2018.
The next regular Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018.
Nomination Period: commences on May 1, 2018 at the Clerk's Office during regular office hours.
Nomination Day: Friday, July 27, 2018 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. at the Clerk's Office.
Election Campaign Period: begins on the day a nomination for office is filed and ends on December 31.
A contribution SHALL NOT be made to or accepted by or on behalf of a person unless he or she is a candidate.
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, every four (4) years, the Town Clerk as the Returning Officer conducts elections for the offices of:
• English Public School Board Trustee / Rainbow District School Board
• English Catholic School Board Trustee / Huron Superior Catholic District School Board
• French Public School Board Trustee / conseil scolaire de district du Grand Nord de L’ontario
• French Catholic School Board Trustee / conseil scolaire de district catholique du Nouvel-Ontario
MAYOR - one to be elected at large
COUNCILLORS: - six to be elected at large
To vote in the municipal election, you must be a qualified elector.
That means, on Voting Day you must be:
• a resident of the Town of Espanola, or an owner or tenant of the land in the Town, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
• a Canadian citizen;
• at least 18 years old; and
• not prohibited from voting by law.
The Municipal Elections Act, 1996 prohibits the following individuals from voting:
• any person who is not qualified;
• a person who is serving a sentence or imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
• a corporation;
• a person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity;
• a person who has been convicted of corrupt practices under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted; and
• anyone who is prohibited by law from voting.